Sunday, March 8, 2009

A Fundamentalism Worth Saving, Part II: A Fundamentalism Truly Worth Saving

I think I want to spend the next several posts talking more about Kevin Bauder's article, A Fundamentalism Worth Saving (http://www.centralseminary.edu/publications/AACCS.htm). Last post, I expressed both my admiration for, and my strong disagreement with his article. Reflection on my last post (and a couple of the comments that I received about it) has made me want to lay out my own version of a fundamentalism worth saving. So, the plan is to spend the next few posts doing so. I want to offer my version in the same spirit as Kevin. That is, I would love to invite any readers into a dialogue about this.

So, let me start by saying that a fundamentalism worth saving is a fundamentalism that takes its humanity seriously. Kudos to Kevin on this one. If you Kevin's his article, you read:

James tells us very clearly that we cannot claim to honor God if we despise humanity, because humans are made in the image of God. We will recognize the grandeur and dignity of being human, and we will value everything that sets humanity apart from other creatures and makes us godlike.

If I read Genesis correctly, God's image in man is reflected in more than just mind, emotion, and will. God's image in man makes him a ruler over the earth, a Vice-Regent, a Steward. God left man with the responsibility of developing and conserving the created order. The Divine Mandate of Genesis 1:26-28, Adam's mission in the garden (Genesis 2:8,9,15) both teach that mankind is to extend his dominion and turn the pre-fall world into a massive garden.

Even after the fall, the mandate continues. Dominion is not lost (contra Theonomists). Psalm 8 and 104 express this nicely. In fact, Genesis 5 relates how humanity's dominion continues to develop. We read about the development of iron work, music, etc. Notice that dominion implies the development of technology and art, beauty and functionality.

I think Kevin states it nicely:

We cannot claim that we are good Christians if we are not even good people. Good people are not contemptuous of poetry, history, law, government, and the other humane disciplines. Rather, they invest themselves in such activities, using these tools in the effort (however misguided and sinful) to enrich the world. It is noble to fashion a beautiful object or an intricate idea. It is a splendid thing to lead a nation well or to challenge an injustice. Why should people believe that we love the greater good of the gospel if they see that we despise the lesser good of the truly humane?

Salvation should only heighten our commitment to being human. After all, if the fall only mared the image of God in us, does not Redemption begin to renew God's image in us? Isn't that the point of 2 Corinthians 3:18?

But we all, with unveiled face, beholding as in a mirror the glory of the Lord, are being transformed into the same image from glory to glory, just as from the Lord, the Spirit.

Isn't this beautiful? Redemption and sanctification renew the image of God in us. Thus, salvation makes us more human, not less. This implies that Christians should be more involved in human things, not less. We become cultural gnostics if we withdrawl from our culture. This means that, as Christians, we need to redeem the culture, not abandon it. We need Christian artists, we need Christian lawyers, scientists, engineers, etc.

I want to value more than just classical western culture and American, upper-middle class sensibilities (without disparaging them, either). I want to value Asian cultures, African cultures, and South American Cultures--in all of their beauty. I only want to reject elements of their cultures the directly conflict with the Scriptures. This includes tastes in music.

My best friend is from Nigeria. Sometimes when we ride in his car, he plays music from his heritage. He happens to speak the Yoruba language. The other day, I asked him if the music we were listening to had a different sound than the music from other Nigerian language groups. He informed me that Yoruba music was quite different than the music of other language groups. I couldn't help but think of Revelation 5. Revelation 5 describes the fact that God is calling out a people from every tribe and nation to reign on the earth with him.

Imagine the worship in the culmination--when Jesus returns to earth and establishes his eternal kingdom--people from every tribe and nation worshiping God. I can't wait to hear how my Asian brothers and sisters will praise God. I can't wait to hear how my African brothers and sisters will praise God. I can't wait to see how each of the tribes and nations praise God in their unique way.

So, a fundamentalism worth saving is going to be a fundamentalism that takes its humanity seriously. Here, I use Humanity in its most universal sense: All of the world, not just classical, western culture.

blessings,
dave

2 comments:

Noits said...

Shu,

You don't lose me at all. In fact, the multiplicity of cultures is one of the most magnificent and enjoyable aspects of our humanity.

Having said that, I do find it ironic that so many people (and I don't mean to include you) blab endlessly about the values of other cultures when they have virtually no understanding of their own cultural heritage.

If you wish to explore culture, the best place to begin is with your own--and our own happens to be the culture of the West.

Kevin T. Bauder

dshumaker said...

Kevin,
Thanks for the clarification. I will change my post to reflect your view.

shu